Published: 00:00, 29 June 2014
| Updated: 17:28, 29 June 2014
Firefighters fought to extinguish a major blaze in Strood for six hours on Sunday night.
They were sent to the scene in Knight Road at 4pm on Sunday afternoon after the blaze broke out at a recycling centre. Around 300 tonnes of waste were ablaze and 20 firefighters were on the scene at the height of the incident.
Four fire engines and two water pumps were sent to the blaze.
At 6pm crews were using two hose reels jets, a hydrant, a water unit and were working with site personnel, who used a mechanical excavator to create a fire break to prevent the fire spreading.
Strood watch manager Martin Simmons believed the fire was caused by "spontaneous ignition", brought about by decomposing waste.
The fire also destroyed a surrounding wall at the centre.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.