A man has been hailed a hero after pulling his elderly neighbour out of his burning house.
The man ran into his neighbour's home in Lynsted Road, Twydall, in Gillingham, and was able to drag the pensioner outside before firefighters arrived.
A crew from Medway fire station was called out to the property at about 2.15pm today and said a utility room and the kitchen were well alight when they arrived.
Fire engines on a call-out. Stock image
The pensioner had been having a nap on the settee when the fire broke out and although he had smoke detectors in his home, they were not working at the time.
A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service, said: "The man had fallen asleep on the settee as he was watching television.
"The neighbour was able to pull him out and rescue him, he did a good job.
"The neighbour was able to pull him out and rescue him: he did a good job" - fire service spokesman
"The fire destroyed the kitchen and utility room and there is quite a bit of smoke damage to the rest of the home.
"The elderly man was taken to hospital after suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation, but didn't suffer any other injury.
"We believe the fire was started by a electrical fault in the freezer.
"There were smoke detectors in the home, but they were not working.
"The message is please regularly check that your smoke detectors are working and if you have not got any, call us and we will come and fit some.