The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
11°C | 1°C
12°C | 0°C
13°C | 9°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Medway News Article
Campaigners have slammed an exhibition on new housing plans as hollow and half hearted.
Developers Taylor Wimpey held a two-day public exhibition at Hoo village hall on Friday and Saturday, June 27 and 28, outlining plans for 500 new homes on a greenfield site to the west of the village.
But Hands off Hoo campaigner Ron Sands said many weren’t impressed.
“There wasn’t much information there,” he said. “365 residents attended and most were disappointed. It wasn’t very good.
“It was a scoping meeting about environmental impact but that’s just a stepping stone before full planning.
“They didn’t seem to know the area.”
He said a petition against the development had been signed by more than a thousand people, and that teams were currently rallying more villagers to oppose the plans.
He added: “You can hear the anger in people, and there were some very heated exchanges.
“The PR guy was quite surprised with how many people turned up - they know they’ve got a fight now.”
But if the villagers are up for a fight, the words coming from Taylor Wimpey this week were benign by contrast.
Nigel Agg, strategic land asset manager for the company, said: “We were delighted to see so many people take the time to visit the exhibition and let us know what they think of the scheme.
“All of the comments will be taken on board as we fine tune our plans – but if people haven’t yet provided us with feedback they still have time to do so.
“We are confident that this development would fulfil a need for more high-quality homes and affordable housing in the local area.”
The company says that up to 125 of the homes would be provided as affordable properties, while the scheme would also deliver areas of public open space, outdoor sporting facilities, plus a contribution towards, or the delivery of a new primary school.
Full details can be viewed at www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/hoo, and feedback can also be provided via the website until Monday, July 14.
Click here for more news from Medway.
Click here for more news from around the county.