12°C | 4°C



13°C | 6°C

Broken cloud


12°C | 6°C

Home   Medway   News   Article

Man and yatch with five people and a dog onboard rescued by the Coastguard in the River Medway last night.

20 March 2014
by Lizzie Massey

A man shouting for help had to be rescued and taken to hospital after getting stuck in the mud in the River Medway.

A man was rescued after being stuck in the mud  off the River Medway last night and a Yacht of five people, and a dog, were also grounded in the stodg

Police, SECamb and the Coastguard were alerted when the young man found himself in trouble and starting yelling for help at around 9pm.

Sheerness RNLI Inshore Lifeboat was diverted from another incident in the area and further team members of Medway Coastguard were also called to assist.

Richard Rodgers, the deputy station officer at Medway Coastguard.

Richard Rodgers, the deputy station officer at Medway Coastguard.

After a short search he was found near Rochester Bridge. He was suffering from hypothermia and taken to Medway Maritime Hospital by the ambulance.

Richard Rodgers, the deputy station officer at Medway Coastguard, said: “He obviously didn’t mean to be there, but quickly found himself in difficulty in the mud.

“He was shouting for help and that’s what altered people to call the police, who contacted us.

Coastguard emergency response vehicle

Coastguard emergency response vehicle

“He was very cold and suffering the effects of hypothermia, but had no other injuries.”

The crews had just finished on another job when they were called out to help the young man.

Earlier in the evening, about 7pm, five people and a small dog were stranded on a yacht which had grounded in the low water.

Coastguard logo

Coastguard logo

Medway Coastguard found the vessel and directed the Sheerness RNLI Inshore Lifeboat to them.

Three of the adults were helped off the vessel and taken to the shore by the lifeboat. The other two stayed on the yacht and were towed back to Chatham Docks.

Mr Rodger said: “It was very windy and they had been blown onto the mud bank.

Richard Rodgers, the deputy station officer at Medway Coastguard.

Richard Rodgers, the deputy station officer at Medway Coastguard.

“They had to be towed back really, their only other option would have been to stay until the tide came back in but it would have taken about six to seven hours and it was very windy.”

None of the people on board were injured.

Click here for more news from Medway.

Click here for more news from around the county.


Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email or call 01634 227989.