Home   Medway   News   Article

Inquest hears Patrick Mannion shot himself with bolt stun gun at ex's home in Lonsdale Drive, Rainham

By Lynn Cox

A man found fatally injured in his estranged wife's garage shot himself with a bolt stun gun, an inquest heard.

Patrick Mannion was found with a wound to the back of his neck by his wife Lindsay, on December 30.

The 56-year-old had separated from her husband and was living alone at the property in Lonsdale Drive, Rainham.

Police at the scene of the death

She had discovered his car in the driveway as she returned home at about 3pm.

The inquest at Archbishop’s Palace, Maidstone, heard evidence from DS Adam Marshall,
of the major crime unit in Chatham.

He told assistant coroner, Katrina Hepburn, Mr Mannion had arranged to go to the house via a third party family member to avoid confrontation.

He intended to pick up some belongings at about 1pm.

The officer said Mrs Mannion had not expected him to be there when she returned but spotted his Rover 600.

The house in Rainham where Mr Mannion was found with head injuries before he died in hospital

The 52-year-old was found lying on the floor and seemed to be snoring.

Mrs Mannion initially thought he might be intoxicated.

She called her son and then an ambulance when it was discovered he was injured.

The cement factory worker was taken to Medway Maritime Hospital before being transferred to King’s College Hospital, London.

Doctors performed a series of scans and tests and discovered he had suffered a penetrative wound to the back of his neck.

The house where Patrick Mannion was found

His condition deteriorated and he died on New Year’s Day.

DS Marshall said his investigations had revealed Mr Mannion, who had been living in Marine Parade, Sheerness, purchased the gun in December.

He had left a note including the receipt and user instructions for a colleague at Hanson, a concrete supplying firm.

He had also left a note for Mrs Mannion in the garage.

"There was a DNA match on the bolt gun and his death was entirely consistent with suicide" - DS Adam Marshall

This included details of what he wanted to be done with his belongings and where he wanted his ashes scattered.

It was not read out during the inquest.

After Mr Mannion was found, police and forensic teams spent several days at the property and a woman was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

However, following the results of a post-mortem examination, police said there were no suspicious circumstances and she was released without charge.

Officers later delivered leaflets in the area to reassure other residents that no crime was committed.

Mr Mannion was found in Lonsdale Drive

DS Marshall added he was satisfied Mr Mannion had purchased the gun and there was no third party involvement.

He said: “There was a DNA match on the bolt gun and his death was entirely consistent with suicide.”

Ms Hepburn also heard how the couple’s marriage had broken down and concluded he took his own life.

She added: “I am satisfied it was a deliberate act he carried out.

“I am satisfied he intended to cause his death and had a clear intention to take his own life.”

If you would like confidential support on an emotional issue, call Samaritans free on 116 123 at any time, or visit the Samaritans website.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More