Published: 11:09, 08 August 2014 |
Updated: 11:27, 08 August 2014
A mother and her four month old baby were led to safety from their Gillingham flat last night after a fire broke out in the property below.
Fire crews were called to the scene in Selbourne Road at 10:40pm. Two fire engines from Medway and Strood attended.
The fire is believed to have been started by a cigarette after the occupant in the ground floor flat was smoking in bed.
Fortunately a neighbour living opposite heard the smoke alarm, saw smoke and phoned 999.
Medway Watch Manager, Jim Ramsden, said: “The fire was out when we arrived and neighbours had led the woman and her baby to safety via a smoke filled stairway."
The baby girl was given oxygen at the scene by paramedics.
Mr Ramsden said: "Just three breaths of fire smoke can be fatal, even for a young and healthy adult but babies, children and older people are most at risk if a fire breaks out in their home, as their bodies are even less able to cope.
He added: “There’s no doubt that having a working smoke alarm makes all the difference as the woman and her child might not have had such a lucky escape.
"Smokers also need to be aware of the risks of smoking in the home and how easily this can lead to fires.”
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
This is a brand new online resource covering every aspect of owning and improving a home in Kent and Medway.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Neil Miller, Hever Castle head gardener is new gardening blogger.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.