Share

Broken cloud

Wed

13°C | 8°C

Cloudy

Thu

15°C | 12°C

Light rain

Fri

16°C | 7°C

Home   Medway   News   Article

Red Cross supports young family after fire in Andrews Manor, Britton Street, Gillingham

09 March 2014
by Nicola Jordan
A fire engine

A fire engine

A young family fled to safety after a fire broke out at a block of flats in Gillingham last night.
 
A couple and their children raised the alarm after they saw smoke seeping from a bedroom at their home in Andrews Manor, Britton Street at about 7.30pm.
 
Firefighters used breathing apparatus and a pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke-logged apartment on the top floor of the two-storey building.
 
Crew manager Stuart Wickens said "When we go there everyone was outside. The family did the right thing by closing all the doors to stop it spreading before they got out.
 
"If it had been later at night and they had been asleep it could have been a lot worse.
 
"But thankfully, this had a successful outcome."
 
A team from the Red Cross were called to offer support for the family and an officer from Medway Council which owns the flat, was also called to provide alternative accommodation.
 
Police are not treating the cause of the fire as suspicious "at this time". 

Click here for more news from Medway.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.