Published: 11:34, 07 December 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
A family from Chatham will have a badly fire-damaged kitchen this Christmas after their tumble dryer caught alight yesterday (Thursday).
Two crews were sent to a house in Sedge Crescent, Weeds Wood following a call from the family’s teenage son at around 5.15pm.
The homeowner had popped out and the son came across the fire when he arrived home from school.
Firefighters wore breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the house of smoke.
Medway watch manager Paul Nash said the incident highlighted important safety messages, including not starting your tumble dryer if you are going out and making sure the filters are changed regularly.
He said: “There was no working smoke alarm in their home and if the son had not come home and been alerted to the fire, the results could have been much worse.
“As it is, around 60 per cent of their kitchen has been fire-damaged and the rest of the floor has suffered from heat and smoke.
“Redecorating your home in the run up to Christmas is not a good prospect."
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
This is a brand new online resource covering every aspect of owning and improving a home in Kent and Medway.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Neil Miller, Hever Castle head gardener is new gardening blogger.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.