Moderate showers


17°C | 8°C



16°C | 8°C

Moderate showers


16°C | 8°C

Home   Medway   News   Article

Grieving daughter Laura Witherden complains after dad Anthony Witherden dies after fall at Medway Maritime Hospital

03 January 2014
by Jenni Horn

A daughter says she never got to say a proper goodbye to her terminally ill father who died after falling from his hospital bed.

Bosses at Medway Maritime Hospital are investigating the death of Anthony Witherden who passed away shortly after falling on Keats ward.

The 65-year-old suffered a broken nose, a broken arm and a shattered shoulder. He never regained consciousness and died just before 4pm the following day.

Anthony Witherden

Anthony Witherden

His daughter Laura Witherden has put in a formal complaint to the hospital but more than two months later, is still waiting for answers.

She said: “I don’t blame the hospital for my dad’s death but I’ve no doubt that the fall sped it up. I had to watch my dad die in such a horrible way.

“After the fall he never opened his eyes, he didn’t speak, we had nothing from him. I never got the chance to say goodbye properly.”

Mr Witherden, of St Margaret’s Drive, Wigmore, was admitted to hospital on October 6, with cirrhosis of the liver.

His daughter had been to visit him on Thursday, October 18 and then got a call at 4.30am on the Friday morning to say he had fallen and was being treated in resuscitation.

Medway Maritime Hospital in Gillingham

Medway Maritime Hospital was described as "one of the most challenged" in the country

Mrs Witherden, of Fourth Avenue, Gillingham, said: “First of all I wanted to know why he was in resus when he was on a DNR [do not resuscitate] and they told me he’d had a massive fall and I should come in.

“When I got there it was such a shock to see my dad like that. He had been OK when I left him on the Thursday night. He was poorly but he knew my name and was alert.

What do you think? Join the debate by adding your comments below“They told me it took them at least a couple of hours to get him off the floor. When I asked how it had happened they said they didn’t know.”

Shortly after her father’s death Ms Witherden put in a complaint to Medway NHS Foundation Trust and was told she would receive a response within 28 days. She is still waiting for a formal answer.

A spokesman for Medway NHS Foundation Trust confirmed an investigation is being carried out but said she could not comment any further.

Stories you might have missed

Kent town is top destination in South East for migrants

Woman 'found in boot' after going missing 

Hundreds flock to buy homes under Help to Buy


Village hit as rains continue to batter county


Click here for more news from Medway.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Sorry, comments are not enabled for this article.

Login or register to post commentsPost Comment

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email or call 01634 227989.