Published: 00:00, 02 August 2014
| Updated: 00:50, 28 February 2018
A young mum woken by a fire alarm in the early hours of this morning rescued a teenage boy from a smoke-filled flat.
Sonnie Hemphill, 21, woke the youth who had fallen asleep on a sofa, and dragged him out of the apartment in Britton Street, Gillingham.
Brave Sonnie, dressed only in her nightie, then fought back acrid black fumes to make sure there was nobody else inside.
The drama unfurled at about 5am today, when Sonnie and one-year-old daughter, Maicee-Mae were staying at her mother's home at Albert Manor.
Sonnie, from Chatham, said : "I didn't think twice at the time. I just thought there are eight families living in the maisonettes and we could have all been killed, including my baby.
"The adrenalin just kept pumping. The fire brigade said I should not have gone back in but I think I would do the same.
"Firefighters from Medway and Strood attended the incident which is thought to have been caused by food left cooking in an oven."
From academic achievements to engineering accolades and new facilities, Kent College offers students an outstanding school life.
Enter this month’s competition and you could win a luxurious return crossing!Sponsored editorial
There's no uniform or bells and students and staff are on first name terms. School life at Rochester Independent College is unique.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.