Tumble drier fire
A family from Chatham will have a badly
fire-damaged kitchen this Christmas after their tumble dryer caught
alight yesterday (Thursday).
Two crews were sent to a house in Sedge
Crescent, Weeds Wood following a call from the family’s teenage son
at around 5.15pm.
The homeowner had popped out and the son came
across the fire when he arrived home from school.
Firefighters wore breathing apparatus to
tackle the blaze and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to
clear the house of smoke.
Medway watch manager Paul Nash said the
incident highlighted important safety messages, including not
starting your tumble dryer if you are going out and making sure the
filters are changed regularly.
He said: “There was no working smoke alarm in
their home and if the son had not come home and been alerted to the
fire, the results could have been much worse.
“As it is, around 60 per cent of their kitchen
has been fire-damaged and the rest of the floor has suffered from
heat and smoke.
“Redecorating your home in the run up to
Christmas is not a good prospect."
- Click here for more Medway news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...