Bonfire ignites shed with propane cylinders in Elm Road, Gillingham
Smoke could be seen a mile away after a gardener made a bonfire
too close to his shed.
The 8ft by 8ft shed was engulfed by fire last night behind a
terraced house in Elm Road, Gillingham.
Two crews from Medway Fire Station pulled a hosereel for 50
yards across back gardens after the shed's owner raised the alarm
He had made a bonfire a few feet from a wooden shed containing
two propane cylinders, probably used for barbecues.
Firefighters removed one cylinder and managed to isolate the
other so neither exploded.
They put out the fire within an hour but the shed was completely
A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "We would like to
remind people not to have bonfires near their sheds.
"A bonfire may seem safe but flames can 'jump', especially in
the dry weather we've been having."
- Click here for more Medway news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...