£100,000 boat goes up in flames in Strood
A faulty appliance probably caused a motor
cruiser moored on the River Medway to go up in flames.
The boat, thought to be worth about £100,000, had been left
severely damaged by the fire, which started shortly before 11am
Firefighters from Strood fire station were called out to Strood
Yacht Club, after a member spotted smoke coming from the
Three fire engines, along with a Kent Fire and Rescue boat, were
sent to the scene and firefighters wore breathing apparatus to get
on to the boat and put the flames out.
It was quickly established that no one was onboard as crews used
thermal imaging camera to detect if anyone was inside.
The cruiser was moored alongside a pontoon at the club, in
Temple Manor Marsh, Knight Road, and firefighters used a portable
water pump to get water out of the River Medway to fight the
A spokesman for the crews said: “We managed to stop the flames
spreading to other boats and members helped out by moving other
boats which were nearby.
“It has suffered a lot of damage to the inside of the vessel,
the soft furnishings and such like, but the structure of it is
“We think it may have been caused by a faulty dehumidifier which
was on board which had overheated.”
- Click here for more Medway news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...