Bacon causes blaze in Rochester
A woman had to
be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation after bacon left
unattended on a grill started a fire in her kitchen.
Firefighters say the incident,
which happened shortly after 6pm yesterday, (Monday) has
highlighted the importance of not leaving cooking unattended.
Crews from Medway and Strood fire
stations were called out to her home, in Warren Wood Road,
Rochester, after her grill caught alight.
Ian Collins, Strood crew manager
said: “The woman was cooking bacon which set light to the oven and
set off the smoke alarms.
“We removed the pan and ventilated
the property but the woman – who we believe suffers from asthma –
had breathing difficulties so we gave her oxygen.
“There was some damage to the oven
but fortunately the smoke alarms meant she had an early warning and
the consequences fortunately weren’t more serious.”
Ambulance crews treated the woman,
who is believed to be in her 50s, and the crews left her property
shortly before 7pm.
Frefighter Collins added: “If you
leave the kitchen, turn the heat off as fire starts when your
attention stops. Just three breaths of fire smoke can be fatal, so
it’s vital that everyone has working smoke alarms in their
“We offer free safety advice and
services to everyone but there’s a lot you can do to keep yourself
For more advice on fire safety
visit www.3breaths.info or
contact KFRS on 0800 923 7000.
- Click here for more Medway news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...