Clubhouse blaze at Medway Bridge Marina in Borstal
Firefighters were called to an incident
A fire broke out in a marina clubhouse last night.
Firefighters were called out to Medway Bridge Marina, in Manor Lane, Borstal, shortly after 8pm.
The blaze is believed to have started by an electrical fault in a freezer in a rear storage room of the clubhouse, which also contains a café.
Four fire engines were sent to the scene and used breathing apparatus to enter the single-storey building to put out the flames.
A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue said: “There were about a dozen people there when the fire broke out and they had evacuated. They had tried to control it by breaking a window and by throwing buckets of water on it. On arrival we found the building was heavily smoke-logged.”
The storage room was also damaged by the flames.
No-one was injured during the incident and crews were on the scene for about a hour.
- Click here for more Medway news
- Click here for more news from across the county