Cigarette causes flat fire in Rochester Street, Chatham
Firefighters were called to Quarry Road, Maidstone
Firefighters are warning smokers to take extra care when extinguishing their cigarettes after a man had a lucky escape.
Crews were called to Rochester Street, Chatham, at 6.05am today (Friday) to reports of smoke coming from a flat.
The man, believed to be in his 30s, is said to have gone to bed, leaving an unattended cigarette in an ashtray on the carpet, which burnt through.
A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service said: “Smoke went into the flat above and woke a woman who called the fire service. Four people had to be evacuated.”
“This man was very lucky. Make sure cigarettes are out before you go to bed.”
No one was injured in the fire. The flat suffered smoke damage.
- Click here for more Medway news
- Click here for more news from across the county