Cigarette sparks garage fire in Chatham
Kent Fire and Rescue Service engine
A garage has been destroyed after a cigarette set fire to rubbish.
Firefighters were called to Luton Road in Chatham at 2am today after a passer-by spotted the flames.
A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service said a cigarette had been thrown onto a pile of rubbish that had been left out for collection. The rubbish caught fire and spread to a garage, which was destroyed in the flames.
Now firefighters are urging people to make sure their cigarettes are extinguished before being thrown away.
The spokesman added: “People need to make sure their butts are out before carelessly chucking them. If people are going to throw them, put them in the gutter not onto a pile of rubbish.”
Firefighters were on the scene for one hour.
- Click here for more Medway news
- Click here for more news from across the county