Dog dies after being rescued from house fire in Strood that leaves home badly damaged
Fire crews were called to a house in Strood
A dog has died in a house fire in Strood after being rescued along with two other animals.
Two fire engines were called to Wyatt Place after the blaze started in the kitchen yesterday morning.
Crews found smoke coming from the house when they arrived at about 11.45am.
The householder had already evacuated, but three animals were trapped inside.
Wearing breathing apparatus, two firefighters entered the building and rescued two dogs and a cat.
A Kent Fire and Rescue Service said: "Unfortunately one of the dogs died at the scene and the other one was taken to a vet."
The fire is believed to have started after an electric cooker, which was accidentally left on, set fire to a cooking tray on top.
The kitchen was badly damaged and the first floor suffered substantial smoke damage.
Crews were on the scene for an hour.
- Click here for more Medway news
- Click here for more news from across the county