Family flees Gillingham house after fire sparked by tumble dryer
Kent Fire and Rescue Service fire engine
A family had to flee their home after a tumble dryer caught fire early today.
A woman and her teenage daughter were treated for smoke inhalation following the blaze in Railway Street, Gillingham at about 3am.
Fire crews were sent to the two-storey house after a neighbour smelt smoke. He alerted emergency services, then banged on the door waking the couple and their two teenage children, enabling them to get out of the property to safety.
Three fire engines were on the scene within minutes and the pair were treated by paramedics before being taken to hospital.
Firefighter Kevin Chapman said: “The family left clothes drying in the tumble dryer overnight. We believe it overheated and caught light because there was insufficient space around the machine to allow the air to circulate sufficiently.
“I would urge people to take extra care when using tumble dryers and other electrical appliances and never leave them running when you are out of the home or in bed. Get them serviced regularly, clean tumble dryer filters frequently and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Switch electrical appliances off when not in use.”
The fire destroyed the utility room and kitchen.
Last night, crews were also called to Third Avenue, Gillingham, after a car overturned and trapped a man.
Two fire engines, police and paramedics were called to the scene at 8.15pm.
Firefighters used hydraulic cutting gear to help release the man. He was then treated by paramedics.
- Click here for more Medway news
- Click here for more news from across the county