Published: 00:00, 20 January 2014 |
Updated: 13:53, 24 February 2014
She woke her landlord, Mr T.M. Caney, who “hastened” to investigate – lighting his way in the darkness with a burning candle.
The subsequent explosion blew out the parlour windows of the County Road house, smashed the door, damaged part of a washhouse and started a fire.
Poor Mr Carney was knocked unconscious and badly burned. Even his whiskers caught fire. But he rallied enough to tackle the fire.
The Gazette reported: “Although seriously injured he immediately procured a pail of water, threw it over the burning articles, and extinguished the fire.”
September 12, 1871
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
We have four editions of our Kent Homes, Gardens and Interiors magazine for you to read. Click here to view them all.