The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
10°C | 5°C
10°C | 3°C
9°C | 5°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Sandwich News Article
The Mercury reported last month that pupils were left devastated when courses they had already been studying for two years were cut due to a lack of funding at the Sandwich school.
Head teacher Lee Hunter admitted in an email to parents that he knew about the cuts before, and parents believe the school should have come clean sooner.
On Friday, an announcement was made in assembly which explained that due to outside funding from a former pupil the children who have already started can now continue to learn Chinese next year.
Mr Hunter confirmed the news and said: “The school received a generous donation from an ex-student who has close ties to China which has enabled the school to run the threatened GCSE course next year.
“The school is still searching for additional funding to support the teaching of Chinese going forward, but the intention is to keep Chinese as part of the school’s curriculum.”
“Initially, when I phoned them they said the fact that this had happened meant I could make a formal complaint, then responded with that it was a little bit of a waste of time to be honest.”
Year 9 pupil Brianna Middleton, of Churchill Avenue, Walmer, wrote a letter appealing to Education Secretary Michael Gove.
Mr Bullard added: “She wasn’t happy with the response she got, she just got an acknowledgement from someone’s office.
“I got one quick response from Laura Sandys [MP], she basically said if their funding has been cut that’s it. She didn’t take into account the fact they knew there was funding problems before and they pulled the rug from under them. We were really running out of options until this.”
Click here for more news from Sandwich.
Click here for more news from around the county.