Home   Sheerness   News   Article

Theresa Langworthy, former chairman of Sheppey Parents Action Group, "fought for everyone"

By John Nurden

Sheppey schools campaigner Theresa Langworthy has died. She was 59.

A decade ago the former governor of Danley Middle School chaired the Sheppey Parents Action Group (SPAG) during a high profile campaign to try to save the Island’s popular middle schools and halt Minster College from being turned into an academy.

For the past four years she chaired the Friendship House Trust and oversaw a £70,000 revamp of the hall in Love Lane, Minster, getting grants to replace its floor, install disabled toilets, extend the car park and redesign the gardens.

Theresa Langworthy splashed out on crockery when as chairman of the Friendship House, Hall Committee she received £4,000 from Minster Parish Council.

She also helped husband Rob and daughter Maria run the Swale Gojo-Ryu karate club at Friendship House and organised international seminars for Japanese karate masters and fighters from Europe to visit Britain.

Mr Langworthy said: “Theresa was always involved in the community and wanted to help people. She fought for everyone.”

She was born and brought up on Sheppey. After leaving school she trained as a hairdresser at the Co-op in Sheerness before working with celebrity hairdresser Vidal Sassoon in London.

Schools campaigner Theresa Langworthy from Sheppey has died. She was 59.

She returned to the Island as a cashier at Nash’s furniture store before becoming a mum. She leaves two children, son Ryan who works in Sittingbourne, and daughter Maria Dundon-Langworthy who works in Boots, Sheerness.

Theresa married her childhood sweetheart Rob after one of his friends dared him to ask her out. They were both in their teens and enjoyed 39 years of marriage.

Thirty years ago while on holiday in Skegness Mrs Langworthy, of Scocles Road, Minster, suffered a blood clot and had to have a leg amputated below the knee and her husband said despite needing a wheelchair, she never let her situation hold her back.

She complained of feeling ill during a karate seminar in Essex in January.

Doctors at Medway Maritime Hospital confirmed she had suffered a heart attack which led to a successful double heart bypass at St Thomas’ Hospital, London. But her recovery was affected by new blood clots, a cardiac arrest and a stroke.

Despite the setbacks she made good progress at Sheppey Community Hospital and managed to see her daughter wed in July. But complications set in and she died on September 22.

Her funeral is at Charing Crematorium tomorrow (Friday) at 10.40pm followed by a wake at Minster Working Men’s Club. All friends are invited.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More