Home   Sheerness   News   Article

Jonathon Finnegan jailed for violent robbery on Mr G's amusement arcade off The Promenade in Leysdown on the Isle of Sheppey

By KentOnline reporter

A violent robber who raided a Sheppey amusement arcade has been jailed for a string of offences.

Jonathon Finnegan, 25, broke into Mr G's off The Promenade in Leysdown along with two others wielding an axe and a snooker cue on June 29 last year.

Wearing masks, the trio burst in shouting "where's the money?" before opening a safe and stealing almost £3,000.

Jonathon Finnegan has been jailed

They fled in a black BMW and in the aftermath, the police helicopter and armed officers scoured the area and shut off the Sheppey Crossing to stop the robbers escaping off the Island.

Unemployed Finnegan, from west London, pleaded guilty to the robbery at Maidstone Crown Court on March 11 this year.

He has now been jailed for more than 18 years for the raid, as well as a further two attempted robberies, one robbery, aggravated burglary, possession of an imitation firearm, attempted kidnap and drugs offences.

Mr G's Amusements was robbed. Picture: Google Street View

Before the Leysdown robbery, Finnegan - along with another man - targeted a mum on the school-run in west London on April 29 in a terrifying attack.

They dragged her to the floor in an attempt to steal jewellery from her in front of her five-year-old son, leaving her with a dislocated shoulder and a broken finger.

Finnegan was later identified from CCTV footage at the scene.

CCTV footage of the raid on Mr G's

Then on August 10 last year, Finnegan and his homeless accomplice Dail Sillah, 30, robbed a Portobello Road market stall-holder at gunpoint in her own west London home, stealing her day's takings.

The 56-year-old victim had finished work on her fruit and veg stall and returned home, but at 9pm, heard a noise in the hallway and got up to investigate.

"Finnegan's reckless efforts to escape police were stopped due to the bravery of a member of the public..." - Det Con Tony Dunne

She was then confronted by a man wearing a black ski mask who shouted at her to "get back" before another man pointed a handgun at her.

They made off with money, a mobile phone and keys, and were later identified as Finnegan and Sillah.

Finnegan's crime spree finally came to an end on September 5 last year, when police spotted a stolen vehicle in north west London which failed to stop.

Following a short car-chase, Finnegan fled from the car and got into a Honda Civic being driven by an elderly man.

He demanded the victim drive him away from police but the man refused, and officers surrounded the car before arresting Finnegan.

He was sentenced to 18-and-a-half years at Isleworth Crown Court yesterday, while Sillah, his co-defendant, was jailed for a total of 12 years.

Dail Sillah has been jailed for 12 years

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Constable Tony Dunne said: "Finnegan and Sillah have been handed significant sentences for a number of violent offences including the attempted robbery of a mother in front of her five-year-old son which left him traumatised.

"Finnegan's reckless efforts to escape police were stopped due to the bravery of a member of the public, who had the courage to stand up to his threats bringing his crime spree to an end.

"Finnegan and Sillah's offences were violent and they have now received the long custodial sentence they fully deserve."

Stories you might have missed

Dad-to-be buried alive on 'dodgy' building site

Man flees naked after New Year's Day hammer attack

You're hired? Meet Kent's Apprentice hopeful

Stolen huskies found thanks to Facebook campaign

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More