Home   Sittingbourne   News   Article

Bonfire spreads out of control at allotment in Conyer

By Chloe Holmwood

Firefighters were called to a blaze that destroyed two garden sheds in Conyer last night.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service said an unattended bonfire on an allotment off Conyer Road had got out of control and spread to a neighbouring property where it set two wooden sheds alight.

“The sheds, a couple of wheelie bins and garden furniture were affected by the fire," said a fire service spokesman. 

Two fire engines were sent to deal with the fire. Picture D.Monteath

Two fire engines were sent to deal with the fire. Picture: David Monteath

The fire was out by 9pm after crews were called at 8.13pm.

Two fire engines - one from Sittingbourne Fire Station and one from Teynham Fire Station - attended.

Crews used a hydrant supply and a hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze.

Two fire engines were sent to deal with the blaze. Picture David Monteath

Two fire engines were sent to deal with the blaze. Picture: David Monteath

Fire crews were called to Conyer last night. Picture David Monteath

Fire crews were called to Conyer last night. Picture: David Monteath

A telegraph pole was also caught up in the fire and British Telecom has been informed.

Eyewitness David Monteath, who has lived in neighbouring Eastwood Cottages for seven years, watched the fire take hold from his home.

The 71-year-old said: "We initially didn't know anything about it until a neighbour knocked on our door asking if we could move our vehicle."

Crews were called at 8.13pm. Picture David Monteath

Crews were called at 8.13pm. Picture: David Monteath

"It really was quite spectacular at the time," he added. "The flames must have been about 20 feet high or more.

"It's not something you see every day." 

Firefighters urge people lighting bonfires to site them well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs.

They also said it should never be left unattended, flammable liquids should never be used to light it and children should be kept away from the flames at all times. 

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More