Published: 10:00, 11 June 2014 |
Updated: 08:01, 12 June 2014
For the last two years, every time Laura Pike has travelled under an overhead powerline along Sheppey Way, Iwade, she has got an electric shock.
Now it has been revealed she has fallen victim of a strange phenomenon.
The 37-year-old, of Sanderling Way, took up cycling after she broke her kneecap and was forced to stop running.
She said: "It's when I leave the village and head towards the bridge.
"It's a shock through my whole body. It starts at the back of the top of my legs, around the saddle area, and makes me jump out of my seat.
"I must be charged for about five seconds. The only way I can describe it is, it feels like your body is being pinched between two bars of metal.
"It's a shock through my whole body. It starts at the back of the top of my legs, around the saddle area, and makes me jump out of my seat..." - cyclist Laura Pike
"I thought it was weird when it first happened. Then I thought I needed to lose weight as it was because my bottom kept getting caught in my suspension saddle.
"It was only recently I realised it was happening at the same point every time so last Saturday when I went under it I turned my head at the last minute and noticed the pylon and the cables overhead and put two and two together."
The married mother-of-two posted a message on the Iwade Does Facebook group asking if it happens to anyone else.
It led to a number of responses that others had been shocked.
Mother Sharon Naylar, 44, of Kingfisher Close, said: "I used to walk the dogs in the field on the left as you travel along the road towards Sheppey.
"Because I was walking, it took me longer to get through it so I would be hopping like a wally. When it rained it was worse.
"It's like pins and needles around the ankle area or a bee sting, but lots at the same time.
"It was getting too much so I stopped going there about six months ago. The dogs never showed any signs of being affected by it but I was worried it wasn't safe. Now I walk them down by the river."
A National Grid spokesman said: "High-voltage power lines produce electric fields underneath them.
"Those electric fields can charge up objects and people, and when they touch each other or the ground, they can discharge through a tiny spark, very much like the static shock you can get after walking on a nylon carpet.
"They are not regarded as harmful but can certainly be disconcerting.
"They do not indicate that there is any safety problem or hazard with the power line but just to be absolutely sure, we sent an engineer on June 10 to inspect the pylons in question to check there are no problems.
"Sometimes, there are easy ways of eliminating these discharges.
"For cyclists: as you cycle under the line, just keep your fingers firmly touching a metal brake lever, or the bare metal of the handlebars inboard of the handlebar grip.
"That way, you and your bike will be in electrical contact the whole time, there will be no charge build-up, and no discharges."
Stories you might have missed
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating!
PLUS, register for free!.
Read our pick of the best holiday destinations. Whether its a weekend break, or something a little bit longer, we have reviewed a wide range of holidays.