Your location is set to Dartford
Published: 15:07, 22 November 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
by Hayley Robinson
An animal lover is urging people to be vigilant after her beloved cat died of suspected antifreeze poisoning.
Sarah Sharp’s pet Coco (pictured) fell ill within two hours of returning home last Tuesday.
She said: "He started showing signs but I just didn’t put two and two together.
"He couldn’t hold himself up on his back legs and he was sick two times after eating.
"He was wobbly and walking like he was drunk – it was as if he’d aged by about 20 years.
"He was very lethargic. We just thought he’d eaten something funny at first. Usually he goes out at night but he didn’t want to.
"When I got him out of his bed the following morning he was wet. I thought it was sweat but it was wee. He also couldn’t keep his head up by this point."
The 46-year-old took him to SittiVets, Castle Road, Sittingbourne, where tests revealed he had been poisoned by the chemical which is made mostly of ethylene glycol and is highly toxic to humans and animals.
Coco, three, was kept in for treatment but by Friday Mrs Sharp and her husband Darryl were forced to make the heartbreaking decision to put the cat down as his condition wasn’t improving.
The couple, who live in Murston, say they have no reason to believe their pet was deliberately poisoned but are warning other cat owners to be on their guard.
Mrs Sharp, who has two other cats, added: "The vet didn’t think it was malicious. She explained cats only have to walk on the road where there’s been a spillage then lick their paws to ingest it.
"Also, another way of a cat being exposed to antifreeze is sitting under a car and a leak in a radiator drips on their fur and then they start grooming themselves.
"Just a quarter of a teaspoon is all that’s needed to kill a cat, which is not a lot.
"All I ask is that if anyone spills any antifreeze they make sure they wash it away with hot soapy water. We don’t want anyone else to have to go through what we’ve been through."
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
This is a brand new online resource covering every aspect of owning and improving a home in Kent and Medway.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Neil Miller, Hever Castle head gardener is new gardening blogger.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.