New speed limit set for dangerous Bobbing road heading down to Key Street, Sittingbourne
The speed limit has been reduced on a notorious stretch of
The 60mph zone had already been downgraded to 40mph along
Sheppey Way from Bobbing village to the junction opposite
Now, this has been extended from the same junction over the
railway bridge ato the Key Street roundabout,which leads up to the
Kent County Council (KCC) agreed to extend the existing limit
following a campaign by Lloyd Chapman.
His son David almost died in a car accident on the stretch in
Tragically, mum-of-one Claire Mackinnon, 28, of Queenborough,
was killed in a head-on smash along on road on March 30, 2011.
Mr Chapman received a letter in May last year from Cllr Bryan
Sweetland, KCC’s cabinet member for environment, highways and
waste, confirming that following discussions with police, it had
been agreed to bring the speed down to 40mph.
Work to install signs and road markings informing motorists of
the new speed limit was carried out over the past fortnightwaiting
Speaking last May, Mr Chapman said: “David was 17 and had just
passed his driving test two weeks before the accident happened.
“He was turning out of Bobbing village on to Sheppey Way when
his car stalled and he was hit by a van travelling from Key
“He was in hospital for two-and-a-half weeks. He had a collapsed
lung, brain damage, half of his bowel was removed and he had
septicaemia. It took about a year for him to recover.
“Claire’s death was another reason to keep fighting for it. I
felt guilty because nothing had been done about it.”
Ms Mackinnon’s sister Kerry, 34, of Scrapsgate, Minster, said:
“We drove past it on Monday and noticed the red markings and the 40
sign on the road.
"We just hope people will pay attention and it will stop others
from having to go through what we went through.”
Claire’s son Jack was just three when she died.
“We’re all doing well. Jack is five now and attending Minster
Primary School. I look after him along with my mum,” she said.
- Mr Chapman is also the father of 16-year-old Michael, who
tragically died in June 2006 after being attacked at Gore Court
- Click here for more Sittingbourne news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...