Published: 00:00, 18 January 2017 |
Updated: 09:38, 18 January 2017
Fire crews were called to a rural property where they found the owners looking on as a fire spread from a chimney to the roof.
The fire started shortly before 8pm yesterday in Golford Road near the village of Benenden, and crews reached the scene within minutes of the 999 call.
They used specialist breathing masks, hose reel jets and fog spikes to battle the blaze, and were able to bring it under control shortly after.
A spokesman for the fire brigade said the fog spike method creates mist inside buildings to reduce temperature and the risk of fires spreading. It is also safer for firefighters and the time it takes to put out fires is cut dramatically.
Once the blaze was under control, the crews spent a further 45 minutes using thermal imaging cameras to check for hotspots and to clear fire damage.
The spokesman added that those who use open fires or wood burners need to ensure their chimney is swept regularly by a professional company to stop the build-up of soot and debris which can cause a fire.
Were you affected by the fire? Contact the newsroom on 01233 895801 or email email@example.com.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
We have four editions of our Kent Homes, Gardens and Interiors magazine for you to read. Click here to view them all.