Share

Clear spells

Sat

16°C | 9°C

Broken cloud

Sun

16°C | 11°C

Mostly clear

Mon

18°C | 11°C

Home   Thanet   News   Article

Kent Fire and Rescue Service have praised a neighbour for prompt action which saved a man in his 90s from a fire at Montagu Road, Ramsgate

09 January 2014
by Mary Louis

Firefighters were called to the incident.

A fire engine

A man in his 90s was saved by a fast-acting neighbour after a fire broke out in his Ramsgate home this morning.

Firefighters are praising his swift response after the blaze broke out in the bathroom of the elderly man’s Montagu Road home.

Both men were taken to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

The incident has prompted an urgent warning from Kent Fire and Rescue Service about not leaving clothing drying above gas heaters.

Fire crews were called to Montague Road just after 10am, after a smoke alarm went off.

Ramsgate crew manager Paul Cook said: “Prior to us being called, a neighbour heard the smoke alarm sounding next door and went to investigate. He heard the occupier having difficulty getting out the front door so assisted leading the man to safety before calling the emergency services.

“Given the smoke layer was already down to waist height throughout the ground floor when we arrived the neighbour’s assistance probably saved the occupiers life.”

Crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and tackled the fire with a hose reel jet. They then cleared smoke from the home with a positive pressure ventilation fan and used new thermal imaging equipment to ensure the fire was completely out.

Both the occupier and neighbour were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene before being taken to hospital. The Red Cross team were also in attendance.

Mr Cook warned: “While it may seem practical, drying clothes above a gas heater can be extremely dangerous as they can easily catch alight. I would also encourage residents to ensure they have smoke alarms fitted on every floor of their home as these not only give you warning that a fire has broken out but also alert others to what is going on as well.”

For advice on safety related to fire, call Kent Fire and Rescue Service free on 0800 923 7000 or see www.3breaths.info f

Click here for more news from Thanet.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.