Your location is set to Dartford
Published: 00:00, 30 April 2014 |
Updated: 17:59, 30 April 2014
An elderly Ramsgate man was treated for smoke inhalation after fire broke out in an unattended chip pan.
Two fire engines went to a house in Pegwell Road, shortly after 8.30pm last Tuesday night.
Watch manager Simon Brooks said: “The elderly man had left the pan and it caught light which meant he breathed in quite a lot of smoke so we gave him some oxygen. Although it wasn’t a large fire, it shows how quickly a blaze can break out and if he hadn’t realised what was happening and called us, this clearly could have been much more serious.”
Kent Fire and Rescue Service is warning cooks who use deep fat for frying to follow essential safety advice.
They advise not to fill a chip pan more than one third full and to make sure it does not overheat because hot oil easily catches fire.
Safety officers urge housholders to use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, never to throw water on a chip pan fire and not to drink alcohol while cooking.
More safety advice is available free on 0800 923 7000 or at www.3breaths.info
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
This is a brand new online resource covering every aspect of owning and improving a home in Kent and Medway.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Neil Miller, Hever Castle head gardener is new gardening blogger.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.