Share

Rain

Mon

17°C | 12°C

Light rain

Tue

15°C | 8°C

Sunny spells

Wed

14°C | 7°C

Home   Thanet   News   Article

Kent Fire and Rescue Service urge caution in kitchen after Ramsgate chip pan fire

30 April 2014
by Mary Louis

Library image

Library image

An elderly Ramsgate man was treated for smoke inhalation after fire broke out in an unattended chip pan.

Two fire engines went to a house in Pegwell Road, shortly after 8.30pm last Tuesday night.

Watch manager Simon Brooks said: “The elderly man had left the pan and it caught light which meant he breathed in quite a lot of smoke so we gave him some oxygen. Although it wasn’t a large fire, it shows how quickly a blaze can break out and if he hadn’t realised what was happening and called us, this clearly could have been much more serious.”

Kent Fire and Rescue Service is warning cooks who use deep fat for frying to follow essential safety advice.

They advise not to fill a chip pan more than one third full and to make sure it does not overheat because hot oil easily catches fire.

Safety officers urge housholders to use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, never to throw water on a chip pan fire and not to drink alcohol while cooking.

More safety advice is available free on 0800 923 7000 or at www.3breaths.info

 

Click here for more news from Thanet.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.