Home   Thanet   News   Article

Puppy owners Tony and Tracey Ford banned from keeping animals after husky staff cross puppies left nearly bald with mange in Margate

By KentOnline reporter

Three puppies and their mother were left untreated for mange for so long they were found virtually bald and covered in scabby sores.

In what's being described as "an appalling case of prolonged neglect", the three puppies were found dumped on a Margate street, with extensive fur loss in September 2013.

Now the owners, Tony and Tracey Ford, have been banned from keeping any animal for five years.

The puppies became sunburnt after being abandoned in a street with a skin condition so bad they were virtually bald. Pictures: John Coomes

Tony Ford, 35, and wife Tracey, 31, of Arnold Road in Margate, admitted several offences under the Animal Welfare Act and were fined £600 and ordered to pay £1,000 costs.

It comes after the three six-month old husky/staffy cross puppies were spotted by a member of the public in a Margate street.

Thanet council dog warden John Coomes collected the puppies and took them to a vet, before tracking down the mother - a two-year-old Staffy called Bonnie at the Fords' address.

All four dogs had very severe mange, which had led to extensive fur loss.

The RSPCA dubbed the case one of "appalling" and prolonged neglect
The pups had to be hand-nursed through the night after suffering bad sunburn

The six month-old puppies, one female and two male, were also suffering from heat exposure from being left on the street, as well as having extremely infected eyes.

RSPCA inspector Ed Halligan said: "This was an appalling case of prolonged neglect.

"These poor dogs were in a terrible state - they were virtually bald and covered in scabby sores all over their heads.

"For them to have got this bad they must have been just left without treatment for a long time.

All four dogs have made a full recovery.

"Thank goodness for John Coomes and the member of the public who found the puppies on the street. Without them these animals would have died there is no doubt."

"It broke my heart to see how poorly these little dogs were. The little ones could barely open their eyes they were so red and infected" - John Coomes

Mr Coomes said: "It broke my heart to see how poorly these little dogs were. The little ones could barely open their eyes they were so red and infected."

He said it had been touch and go for a while, with the dogs having to be hand-nursed through the night with wet towels to ease the pain from the sunburn after being abandoned on the street.

He added: "But now the dogs are well and ready for rehoming which is lovely - a real happy ending."

The four dogs were taken into care and have all made a good recovery.

The Fords both admitted charges of causing unnecessary suffering to the dogs and failing to get the proper veterinary treatment needed, at Canterbury magistrates' court.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More