Scooby the dog swallows spoon
Hapless hound Scooby is on the road to recovery after serving up
a scare for owner Paul Cooper.
The lively seven-month-old golden labrador had emergency
surgery after accidentally swallowing a dessert spoon.
Owner Paul Cooper, of Margate Road, Ramsgate, said: “I couldn’t
believe he’d done it and I still can’t quite. He didn’t muck around
with teaspoons, he went straight for the big one!
“He often sits near us when there’s food around and while we
were eating bread and butter pudding the previous evening my
partner Marie Regan fed him some from her hand.
“She was holding the spoon in her other hand and quick as a
flash, Scooby went over thinking there might be food there too and
took the spoon straight out of her hand.
The X-ray which revealed
Scooby's unusual 'meal'
“When we saw that it wasn’t in his mouth, we realised that he
must have swallowed it.
“But he didn’t even flinch, he just carried on as normal.”
Mr Cooper took Scooby to Thanet Animal Hospital in College Road,
Margate, the following day.
Head vet Jill Matthews tried to remove the spoon with an
endoscope, but when it became obvious that the cutlery was stuck
firmly in Scooby’s stomach, she performed emergency surgery to
She said: “I’ve taken all kinds of foreign objects out of dogs,
but in 32 years this is the first time I’ve removed a spoon.
"I’ve taken all kinds of foreign objects out of dogs, but in 32 years this is the first time I’ve removed a spoon" – head vet Jill Matthews
“It was a bit
complicated because when I tried to use the endoscope, I couldn’t
get hold of it because the handle end was close to the beginning of
the small intestine.
“I had to remove it through the stomach wall, which is major
surgery, but he’s a young, fit dog and with painkillers he was able
to eat breakfast the day after the operation and was well enough to
"It was such a big spoon but Scooby is quite a large dog even
though he’s very young and a dog that size can easily swallow
things like this if they go down the right way and labradors are
more prone to swallowing things before testing them.
“I hope that he continues to make a good recovery.”
Practice manager Heidi Purdy said: “When his owners brought him
in, you would never have known that there was anything wrong, he
was jumping around enthusiastically in reception and seemed totally
Relieved Mr Cooper said: “He has tried to eat smaller things
such as the tops of Smarties tubes, but we’ve always been able to
get them off him before now.
"He sometimes takes clothes out of the tumble dryer but he’s
never tried to chew them.
“I’m so glad he’s on the mend and I’ve been looking forward to
getting him home because he is such a lovely character. It has been
very quiet without him.”
- Click here for more Thanet news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...