Firefighters were called to the incident.
A man in his 90s was saved by a fast-acting neighbour after a fire broke out in his Ramsgate home this morning.
Firefighters are praising his swift response after the blaze broke out in the bathroom of the elderly man’s Montagu Road home.
Both men were taken to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.
The incident has prompted an urgent warning from Kent Fire and Rescue Service about not leaving clothing drying above gas heaters.
Fire crews were called to Montague Road just after 10am, after a smoke alarm went off.
Ramsgate crew manager Paul Cook said: “Prior to us being called, a neighbour heard the smoke alarm sounding next door and went to investigate. He heard the occupier having difficulty getting out the front door so assisted leading the man to safety before calling the emergency services.
“Given the smoke layer was already down to waist height throughout the ground floor when we arrived the neighbour’s assistance probably saved the occupiers life.”
Crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and tackled the fire with a hose reel jet. They then cleared smoke from the home with a positive pressure ventilation fan and used new thermal imaging equipment to ensure the fire was completely out.
Both the occupier and neighbour were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene before being taken to hospital. The Red Cross team were also in attendance.
Mr Cook warned: “While it may seem practical, drying clothes above a gas heater can be extremely dangerous as they can easily catch alight. I would also encourage residents to ensure they have smoke alarms fitted on every floor of their home as these not only give you warning that a fire has broken out but also alert others to what is going on as well.”
For advice on safety related to fire, call Kent Fire and Rescue Service free on 0800 923 7000 or see www.3breaths.info f