A mother and baby are recovering after a lucky escape from their Broadstairs home when a cooker caught fire.
A smoke alarm at the flat in St Peter’s Road failed to work when cooker electrics sparked the blaze on Tuesday.
Fortunately the woman discovered the fire and got herself and her two-month-old child out of the home to call the emergency services.
Two fire engines from Ramsgate attended at 11.25am. Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus, extinguished the flames with a hose reel. A positive pressure ventilation fan was then used to clear smoke and fumes from the property.
The fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the flat.
Ramsgate watch manager Dave Hudson said: “The property had a smoke alarm but it wasn’t working so it was very fortunate that the woman discovered the blaze when she did.
“Fire in the home can be devastating, but many of these fires are preventable. The majority of electrical fires start in the kitchen, so be extra careful when using cooking appliances.
“It’s really important that everyone makes sure that their electrics are in good working order and are used properly, especially at this time of year with Christmas lights and other extra electrical items being brought out.
“Take care and follow our guidance to keep fire safe.”