Firefighters have issued a warning after Christmas tree lights started a fire
Christmas could have been ruined for one family when tree lights caused a fire.
Firefighters were called to a three-storey townhouse in Trinity Road, Sheerness, on Saturday at 7.30pm after the homeowner reported a small blaze.
Crew manager Paul Ross said: “We believe that some clothes had been left on, or near, the Christmas tree lights in the lounge on the first floor and these had started to smoulder before catching light.
“Fortunately, the family, who were on another floor of the house, were alerted by a smoke alarm and found the small fire when they went to investigate.
“The mum stamped on the clothes and threw them outside but clearly this could have been very serious if the fire had developed any further before the family became aware of it.
“It’s a timely reminder to everyone to make sure Christmas tree lights are kept away from anything that can burn easily, such as fabric and paper.”
Crews fitted another smoke alarm in the lounge.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service advises residents to keep doors closed at night, as this could contain a fire and allow extra time to escape.
It is also worth checking for damaged lights, loose wires and incorrect fuses and making sure lights are switched off before bed.