Victim Kirsty Sawyer beams in her hospital bed after the Glass House fire
A teenager badly injured in the Glass House arson attack has created a video to tell the story of what happened in her own words.
Kirsty Sawyer fell from the top floor of the building in Marine Parade, Sheerness, as she tried to escape the flames back in June.
Her moving record of the blaze, called My Story – Sheerness Glasshouse Fire, has had hundreds of views on YouTube and the 19-year-old has been overwhelmed by the reaction it’s received.
She decided to make it as she had been messaged by a lot of people who wanted to speak to her about what happened but were nervous to bring it up.
“The feedback from the video has been incredible and it really touches me that people are reaching out now,” she said.
One message which really stuck with her was from a mother who had been at the scene of the fire with her two boys and they had not stopped going on about what they saw.
However, after watching the video and being able to see she and her friends are on the road to recovery, they now feel better about it too.
“It meant a lot to me knowing they have some peace of mind about it now,” she added.
The Glass House fire in June
Kirsty, of Hartlip Close, Sheerness, has also decided to use her experience to help others by volunteering to promote fire safety.
She has been taken on by Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) as a volunteer for its educational department.
Her remit will include helping the team with presentations about safety and how starting fires and making hoax calls puts people’s lives at risk.
KFRS campaigns manager Chris Steel said: “Kirsty’s story is remarkable as so few people survive in these situations, largely because of the smoke rather than the flames.
“Aside from its heat, which destroys windpipe and lung tissue, fire smoke also holds lethal chemicals like cyanide, hydrochloric acid and chlorine gas, which quickly get into the bloodstream and knock you unconscious.
“Kirsty has shown great bravery throughout and we’re delighted she’s so keen to share her experience and help us spread the message that just three breaths of smoke can be fatal.”