Published: 12:00, 28 April 2017
| Updated: 12:02, 28 April 2017
A startled couple came face to face with an owl staring out at them through the glass doors of their wood burner after investigating spooky noises heard overnight at their Headcorn home.
The husband and wife were shocked to find the baffled bird screeching at them when they went downstairs next morning and called in the RSPCA to help.
The tawny owl became trapped after coming down the chimney flue into the stove, which was luckily not lit at the time.
The bird was discovered on Monday and was completely unharmed.
Dave Grant, RSPCA inspector, said: “The householders couldn’t believe their eyes when they saw what was in their wood burner. They initially tried to rescue the owl themselves. But after experiencing the sharp talons of the frightened bird, they closed the stove doors back up and wisely called the RSPCA for help.
“By the time I arrived, the tawny owl appeared to have calmed down. Wearing gauntlets, I was able to open one of the stove doors, gently bring him out and carry him blinking into the sunlight.
“I checked his eyes and feathers for soot damage, but he was unaffected. So once this lovely bird had found his bearings, he flew straight off to enjoy his freedom again. This was a good release and we were all pleased with the happy outcome.”
The householders are now planning on fitting a special chimney cowl to help prevent this happening again.
The RSPCA is a charity which relies on public donations to exist.For more information on how you can support them, visit: www.rspca.org.uk or call 07969 352878.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.