Home   Ashford   News   Article

Video of uninsured Cameron McGlaughlin ramming police car during chase and crashing in Kingsnorth, Ashford

This is the moment a dangerous unqualified driver rammed a police car twice during a high-speed chase.

Cameron McGlaughlin reached 70mph in residential roads, smashed into a car containing a one-year-old and ignored numerous traffic lights.

When the 22-year-old failed to shake off officers he stopped, repeatedly reversed his Audi into the patrol car, then took off again.

Officers clocked the father-of-six driving without a licence in Kingsnorth, Ashford, at 6pm and activated blue lights.

The construction worker shot down Beaver Lane at 50mph, jumped traffic lights and sped the wrong way around a roundabout into Brookfield Road accelerating to 60mph.

He broke the lights at the BP garage and then, reaching 60mph, raced under a narrow railway bridge smashing into a car containing a one-year-old.

The child didn’t sustain any injuries.

McGlaughlin then ricocheted into another parked car before speeding twice the limit down Magazine Road.

“He reached speeds of 70 mph, it is a residential road of course, it is a 30mph limit,” prosecutor Ian Foynette explained.

“Rather oddly, he then stopped the car,” he continued.

McGlaughlin then reversed at speed twice into the police car, causing the officers to fear the impact would trigger the airbags.

“Fortunately they didn’t activate,” Mr Foynette continued.

“He then sped off through traffic lights, went the wrong way around a traffic island, and went down Healthfield Road which was a dead end. McGlaughlin and an unidentified passenger then leaped out the car as officers gave chase."

Cameron McGlaughlin, 22, of Hither Field in Charing. Picture: Kent Police
Cameron McGlaughlin, 22, of Hither Field in Charing. Picture: Kent Police

He was shortly arrested and, following a swab, tested positive for cannabis.

The court heard McGlauchlin has 23 convictions for 55 offences and pleaded guilty to dangerous driving shortly after the incident, which happened in March.

His lawyer Nicholas Hamblin argued the car’s “turbo had been removed” and couldn’t exceed 70mph.

“Once he saw police he panicked and he drove as we have seen - what he does say is he has accepted his guilt,” he added.

Mr Hamblin added: “This was not the worst case of dangerous driving,” prompting short shrift from the judge.

“How could it be worse?” Judge James replied.

“The risk that he caused to other motorists, including officers who were simply doing their job, I find this about as serious an offence of its type as one could imagine.

“In my judgement the imposition of anything other than an immediate period of imprisonment cannot be justified.”

McGlaughlin, of Hither Field in Charing, also pleaded guilty to driving under the influence of drugs and without a licence or insurance.

He, who appeared in court via video-link from HMP Elmley, was jailed for 18 months and banned from driving for three years and seven months.

To read more of our in depth coverage of all of the major trials coming out of crown and magistrates' courts across the county, click here.

For information on how we can report on court proceedings, click here.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More