Home   Ashford   News   Article

Hoverboard causes house fire in Bulleid Place home in Ashford

By Sean Axtell

A family fled their home after a hoverboard burst into flames, causing fire and smoke damage.

The mother noticed the toy ignited on the landing of her Bulleid Place home in Ashford last night after hearing a crackling sound at about 9.20pm.

She switched the power off, rushed her children and their friend out of her home and dialled 999.

Bulleid Place, Ashford
Bulleid Place, Ashford

Firefighters attended the scene and fought back the blaze wearing breathing apparatus from inside the building.

They used a high pressure hose reel to extinguish the fire and a special fan to clear the smoke and fumes caused by the burning plastic.

The landing suffered fire damage and the first floor of the property was badly smoke damaged.

A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue issued a warning over non-compliant electrical goods.

He said: "Make sure electrical goods have a British or European safety mark on them when you buy them.

"If it doesn't have one, it could be a fire hazard and only buy hoverboards from trusted sources.

"If possible charge them on a surface that is fire proof such as a stone/concrete floor.
"Avoid leaving them on charge for long periods of time – especially if you’re asleep or out of the house."

Hoverboards have widely been documented as fire hazards since 2015 and major airlines, including Easyjet, have banned the toys from their cabins and cargo holds.

Also known as rideables or segway boards, they have been burning up because of problems with their lithium-ion batteries.

The batteries are in everyday tech including smart phones and laptops, however those in hoverboards are more powerful and some are poor quality.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More