Campaigners have failed in a bid to get Dungeness added to the government's list of preferred sites for a new nuclear power station.
The decision, announced on Thursday, is a blow to local campaigners who have been pressing for Dungeness to be included after it was left off the original list of sites last year.
MP Damian Collins, who has led the campaign, said: "I am very disappointed.
"I think it is the wrong decision and that through the consultation process we presented enough information to suggest that Dungeness was a suitable site for a new power station before 2025.
"We could not have done more during the consultation to press the case for Dungeness.
"The people of the Marsh want and need a new power station at Dungeness and I will not give up the fight for this until we get it."
The government has shortlisted eight sites and said Dungeness had been found to be "unsuitable."
Earlier this year, Mr Collins handed in a 1,000-signature petition campaigning for a Dungeness C nuclear station.
Shepway councillors Carole Waters (Con) and Russell Tillson (Con) joined the last plea for the government to reinstate Dungeness on its National Policy Statement - a list of sites that it thinks can be built before 2025. Dungeness B is due for decommissioning, with the loss of hundreds of jobs, in 2018.