Home   Bexley and Bromley   Sport   Article

Welling United 1 Billericay Town 0: Aaron Barnes scores late winner for Peter Taylor's side

Aaron Barnes scored a priceless winner for Welling to see off struggling Billericay on Saturday.

The three points moved Peter Taylor's side up to 13th in National League South - and it's now three wins in six games for the former Gills boss at Park View Road.

Welling manager Peter Taylor - saw his side defeat Billericay on Saturday. Picture: Matthew Walker (52000883)
Welling manager Peter Taylor - saw his side defeat Billericay on Saturday. Picture: Matthew Walker (52000883)

Welling are actually closer to the play-off places than the relegation zone, not that anyone at the club will be getting carried away after such a sluggish start to the campaign.

Peter Taylor's influence in his short time in charge at Park View Road was clear to see, stringing five across the back to avoid exposing his team's defence - which collapsed with three goals conceded in seven second-half minutes against Hampton on Tuesday night.

In Danny Parish and Dipo Akinyemi, Welling at least posed a goal threat while Che Krabbendam provided good support behind them. Parish had an early shot straight at Billericay keeper Bailey Vose but the game lacked any real tempo.

Billericay shipped four goals in midweek themselves under new manager Jody Brown - who was in charge of Welling for nine games, collecting just one point, in early 2015 - and there was a distinct lack of confidence and organisation. Set-pieces didn't seem to have any structure, and one corner just before half-time ended with the taker being flagged for offside while a number of long throws in the second half went straight out of play.

Welling's defence, which included debutant loan defender Arthur Penney from Football League neighbours Millwall, was largely untroubled. The visitors will no doubt say the same about Welling at the other end.

Kristian Campbell tried a speculative left-foot shot from inside his own half that went harmlessly wide while Krabbendam's free-kick dipped just over the bar.

Parish was twice snuffed out, most notably by the covering George Wind on the stroke of half-time.

The game was there for either side in the second half but the same slow tempo remained. Billericay's Kweku Lucan shot over the bar on the counter attack while Welling lost Parish to injury before the hour mark.

The game turned in the space of four minutes deep into the second half. Billericay substitute Bagasan Graham saw his near-post left-foot shot brilliantly turned behind by Welling keeper Jack Sims.

It quickly became a massive save as Wings substitute Bradley Stevenson chased a lost cause and crossed for Campbell, who worked space at the far post and his cross-shot was eventually turned in by Barnes from close range.

Billericay were fortunate not to be reduced to 10 men with six minutes left when Marvel Ekpiteta went flying in on Joe Muscatt but somehow referee Alex Blake only produced a yellow card.

Welling nearly added a second on the break as Dan Carr twice had openings, the first one producing an excellent save from Vose.

Stevenson fluffed his lines from Carr's cross as Welling broke again in stoppage time while Billericay nearly mustered a last-gasp equaliser but Michael Chambers' header lacked any power against his former club.

Billericay did get a red card after the final whistle, however, when Toby Stevenson saw red for dissent at assistant referee Paul Kelly.

Welling: Sims, Barnes, Statham, Pearce, Penney, Campbell, Shokunbi, Durojaiye, Krabbendam (Stevenson 69mins), Akinyemi (Carr 69mins), Parish (Muscatt 58mins). Subs not used: Ezennolim, Stewart.

Billericay: Vose, Wind (Foxley 88mins), Ekpiteta, Chambers Stevenson, Felix, Lee (Graham 69mins), Sutherland, Pinto, Liburd, Lucan (Carvalho 88mins). Subs not used: Wilson, Hinds.

Referee: Alex Blake.

Attendance: 564.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More