Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Aldi announces opening date for new Canterbury store


More news, no ads

LEARN MORE

Budget supermarket chain Aldi has revealed it will open its second Canterbury store next year.

The German retailer will begin construction of its new outlet in Sturry Road at the turn of 2021 before its official opening later in the year.

B&Q is set to be downsized to make way for an Aldi supermarket
B&Q is set to be downsized to make way for an Aldi supermarket

The city will benefit from a welcome jobs boost as a result of the new business, with 40 roles being created at the supermarket.

The eagerly-anticipated store will take up residence alongside the soon-to-be-downsized B&Q, which will be split into three separate outlets.

One will be occupied by Aldi, another by a yet-to-be-revealed national coffee chain, while the other unit will continue to house B&Q.

Permission for the changes - which are envisaged to help the DIY firm survive changing consumer patterns - was secured in June.

Speaking this week, a spokesman for the firm said: “We will begin construction of our new Canterbury store in early 2021 and plan to open the store at the end of the year.

.

“This will create up to 40 jobs and enable local people to shop and save closer to home.”

The arrival of Aldi will have no affect on its existing branch off the ring-road near Wincheap, with bosses pledging to keep the popular store open.

Its new presence in Sturry Road will however spark a three-way supermarket war as Asda and Lidl operate just a stone’s throw away.

Financial forecastors predict the new Aldi will secure a turnover of £10.3 million in 2025 - making it the eighth biggest money-making supermarket in the city.

About 15% of Lidl’s annual turnover will be diverted to its German rival, while a hefty 27% of Asda’s income is expected to be consumed.

The B&Q store in Sturry Road, Canterbury
The B&Q store in Sturry Road, Canterbury

The supermarket will occupy about 45% of the existing DIY store, while the coffee chain - which developers hope to be run by either Costa or Starbucks - takes on 5% of the floorspace and B&Q retains 50%.

The large car park at B&Q will be used to cater for the supermarket customers, while traffic on the notoriously busy Sturry Road is hoped “remain well within operational capacity”.

Head to our business page for all of the latest news about businesses in Kent

Read more: All the latest news from Canterbury

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More