Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Family flee house fire in Cornwallis Avenue, Aylesham

By KentOnline reporter

A family-of-four have fled their home after a fire ripped through a bedroom tonight.

The couple and their two children ran from the house in Cornwallis Avenue, Aylesham, when the blaze erupted shortly after 8pm.

They called 999 but first on the scene were two off-duty firefighters who tackled the flames with extinguishers and garden hoses.

Firefighters needed to wear breathing gear. Stock image
Firefighters needed to wear breathing gear. Stock image

The pair managed to stop the fire spreading into the roof.

When fire crews arrived they went into the house wearing breathing gear to fight the blaze.

An upstairs bedroom was destroyed but the damage was contained because the couple had closed internal doors before they left the house.

Firefighters helped them salvage items when the blaze was out.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in an airing cupboard.

Crews were expected to have left the scene by 10.15pm.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More