Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Inquest into death of Canterbury conspiracy theorist Max Spiers delayed again

By Gerry Warren

Mystery still surrounds the death of a world renowned conspiracy theorist after a coroner adjourned his long-awaited inquest this week.

The inquiry into the reasons why and how Max Spiers from Canterbury died in Poland were expected to be revealed at the hearing.

But north east Kent assistant coroner Alan Blunsdon has postponed the inquest until early next year, saying he still needs more information.

Max Spiers is said to have died in suspicious circumstances
Max Spiers is said to have died in suspicious circumstances

Mr Spiers died suddenly in a house in Poland in 2016, just days before he was due to address a conference.

The 39-year-old father-of-two is said to have vomited black fluid shortly before his death but the Polish authorities initially recorded he had died from natural causes.

A second post-mortem examination when his body was returned to east Kent proved inconclusive.

His mother, Vanessa Bates-Spiers, of Merchant’s Way, Canterbury, suspects her son – who made a name for himself in the shadowy world of conspiracy theorists and sought to expose government cover-ups – may have been murdered because his work “made him enemies”.

She said that shortly before he died he had texted her saying: “Your boy’s in trouble. If anything happens, investigate."

Vanessa Bates at the graveside of her son
Vanessa Bates at the graveside of her son

The inquest into his death was originally opened in December last year and adjourned for a full hearing, which had been due to take place this week.

But at an administrative hearing on Friday, coroner Alan Blunsdon decided he still did not have enough information to fully examine the death.

In particular, it is hoped witnesses in Poland, who have submitted statements but are not obliged to attend, can give their evidence at the hearing via Skype.

Mrs Bates-Spiers said she was disappointed the hearing had to be adjourned but understood the coroner’s view.

“I thought he was very fair and thorough and although there are a lot of statements, it was clear the coroner was not confident he could reach a fair conclusion without more information,” she said.

“It is emotionally draining but I’ve waited this long and don’t mind if it takes longer if we eventually get to the truth of what happened to Max.”

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More