Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Person treated as bonfire spreads to building in Canterbury

A person was treated for smoke inhalation after a bonfire spread to a nearby building and sent it up in flames.

Two fire crews arrived at Court Hill in Canterbury as the blaze ripped through the single-storey property.

A bonfire spread to a nearby outbuilding. Stock image.
A bonfire spread to a nearby outbuilding. Stock image.

Firefighters wearing breathing gear climbed ladders to extinguish the flames in the outbuilding.

One person at the scene was treated for minor smoke inhalation.

Fire crews believe the blaze started accidentally after spreading from a nearby bonfire shortly after 5pm yesterday.

They are now reminding the public to avoid having bonfires if possible.

A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman added: "However, if you do choose to have one, remember to keep it well away from any property, fences, and foliage, and to never leave it unattended. "Once you are finished with the bonfire, dampen it down fully with water making sure that the fire is out and surroundings are made safe before leaving."

Read more: All the latest news from Canterbury


More by this author


This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More