Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Patrick Coakley died after taking fatal MDMA overdose

By Katie Davis

A student who collapsed in a city nightclub died from a fatal MDMA overdose, an inquest has been told.

Patrick Coakley was at Canterbury’s Club Chemistry on the night of Saturday, January 27, when he fell ill.

The 20-year-old, who lived in Whitton, near Twickenham, had travelled down to the city stay with a school friend for the weekend.

Patrick Coakley died after being rushed to hospital
Patrick Coakley died after being rushed to hospital

In a statement read out by assistant coroner James Dillon, Mr Coakley's friend said the pair had planned to take drugs during his visit.

He said: “Patrick came to visit me in Canterbury and planned to stay and then go back.

“I was aware he was bringing cocaine from Birmingham.”

The pal said they went out to university nightclub Venue on the Friday evening and while at the club took cocaine in the toilets, having already taken some before going out.

The next day, he recalled, Mr Coakley felt ill and was sick several times in the day.

MDMA was then bought on the Saturday evening and the two took an amount of it before heading to Club Chemistry - taking the remainder of it with them.

The friend added that on the way Mr Coakley had said "it was quite strong stuff but it seemed OK".

They entered the club and went to the bottom floor toilets where the rest of the MDMA was made into "bombs" and then taken.

Club Chemistry in Canterbury. Picture: Instant Street View
Club Chemistry in Canterbury. Picture: Instant Street View

The friend said Mr Coakley told him he began to feel unwell and began to struggle to walk.

He then collapsed shortly before 2am by the side of a dancefloor and was helped by staff at the club.

Mr Coakley was rushed by ambulance to the QEQM Hospital in Margate, where he died the following day.

DS Heidi Collins said CCTV from the club showed Mr Coakley's condition deteriorate over the course of the night.

A post-mortem examination recorded his death as multiple organ failure and a cardiac arrest, caused by a fatal MDMA overdose.

Toxicologist Nicola Ingram recorded an MDMA level of 1.5mg per litre in Mr Coakley's blood.

It was outlined that a fatal level is between 0.6 to 3.7mg per litre, with one in 10 fatalities at a level of 1.6mg.

Mr Coakley was studying mechanical engineering at the University of Birmingham.

The inquest, at Canterbury Coroners' Court, was told he had a history of taking drugs.

It was adjourned after Mr Dillon asked for further evidence from the QEQM Hospital.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More