Published: 14:16, 12 July 2021
| Updated: 14:51, 12 July 2021
Kent have been dealt another Covid-19 related blow ahead of day two of their County Championship match with Sussex.
Bowler Nathan Gilchrist has had to withdraw from the team after being contacted by NHS Test & Trace, and asked to observe a period of self-isolation.
Kent had already been forced into naming a new-look squad on Sunday morning after a member of the T20 Blast squad that defeated Surrey on Friday returned a positive Covid-19 test.
Gilchrist's place has been taken by Tunbridge Wells' Bailey Wightman, who has played four matches for Kent 2nds this season.
Gilchrist has tested negative for Covid-19 and is symptom-free, but will still isolate for 10 days to follow the guidelines.
Kent chief executive Simon Storey said: “Nathan was not with the Vitality Blast squad on Friday and we believe this is totally unrelated incident.
“The club has full safety protocols in place that covers players, staff and spectators.
"However, the increase in cases across the community means that even the most stringent Covid-19 codes of conduct cannot completely remove all risk of Test & Trace incidents of this nature.”
Meanwhile, Derbyshire's County Championship game with Essex has been abandoned due to a positive Covid-19 test in the Derbyshire squad.
Other members of the Derbyshire squad have been identified as close contacts and the players are now self-isolating.
Derbyshire said: "The player has immediately begun self-isolating while awaiting the result of a PCR test.
"As the playing squad involved in the County Championship fixture against Essex, as well as the Vitality Blast squad which travelled to Durham on Friday, could likely be considered close contacts, they too will immediately self-isolate."