Published: 10:09, 19 November 2019
| Updated: 10:44, 19 November 2019
It's been described as 'Simply The Best Gingerbread' and this quick and simple recipe from Cookies Kitchen could be the perfect Christmas activity.
The dough is really forgiving and can be squished and rolled out several times without affecting the bake, making it the ideal recipe to try with very small children. It will make around 12 biscuits depending on the size of cutter you choose to use.
1. Preheat the oven, 180C/Gas mark 4. Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment. Then mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and butter in a large bowl and rub gently with cool fingertips to make a light breadcrumb like mixture. Next add the sugar, egg and treacle and mix with a wooden spoon until it sticks together as a ball of dough.
2. Lightly flour the worksurface and gently knead the dough on the surface until it is nice and smooth and has no cracks. Lightly sprinkle the worksurface with flour again and roll the gingerbread to about 1cm thick. Cut out your gingerbread shapes and transfer them carefully to the baking trays.
3. Bake for about 10-15 minutes. Check them at 8 minutes or so to make sure they are not burning. Once cooked, leave them on the baking sheet until they have cooled for about five
minutes. Then move them with a spatula to a cooling rack. Once they are completely cool, you can decorate them.
4. Then it’s time to get creative with icing, sprinkles and decorations of your choice.
* Cookies Kitchen offers a variety of courses, workshops and cookery clubs for a range of age groups and abilities, including lots of activities for children, in Tunbridge Wells, Sevenoaks and Tonbridge. To learn more click here.
More by this authorLauren Abbott
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)