Home   Dartford   News   Article

Dartford nightclub ATIK temporarily closed due to anti-social behaviour

A nightclub in Dartford has been temporarily closed following disturbances in which people were assaulted and a police officer was punched in the head.

The Essex Road nightclub ‘ATIK’ has been served a Section 76 notice under the Anti-Social Behaviour and Crime and Policing Act 2014.

ATIK has been temporarily closed
ATIK has been temporarily closed

An application to close the club was heard at Medway Magistrates’ Court on Friday September 17, and the court granted an interim order to close the club until Thursday September 30.

Licencing officers from Kent Police applied for the closure following several incidents inside and outside the nightclub in the last month.

During the temporary closure the club must ensure its doors are kept closed and no events take place inside.

The most recent incidents happened after the venue closed at 3am on Sunday September 12.

Officers were patrolling the town when several disturbances took place in a car park near to the venue as people left the club.

The application to close the club was heard at Medway Magistrates' Court
The application to close the club was heard at Medway Magistrates' Court

One police officer was assaulted as he attempted to assist a man who had been assaulted by another man.

During the incident, the officer was punched in the head and another person was also reported to have behaved in an aggressive manner.

Another person was witnessed by officers being assaulted inside a car, but did not require hospital treatment.

At around the same time a second police officer was assaulted while attempting to arrest a man who was seen fighting in the same car park, and another man was found unconscious in a car after being assaulted.

Other incidents which have taken place during the last month include a theft of a mobile and wallet being reported inside the club, a noise complaint, a woman reporting her drink being spiked and a taxi driver reporting a man had jumped on his vehicle causing damage.

Police applied to the courts to have the nightclub closed down. Stock picture
Police applied to the courts to have the nightclub closed down. Stock picture

Supt Rob Marsh, Kent Police’s deputy divisional commander for North Kent: "We know that the consumption of alcohol can lead to increases in anti-social behaviour and we work with venues to prevent such incidents taking place.

"Unfortunately, events over the past month have led to us taking this action and we will continue to work with the venue to bring about a permanent resolution.

"We have a duty of care to ensure those who work, visit and live in the town feel safe to do so and in recent weeks we have become concerned around the level of incidents connected to the venue

"Work will be ongoing to help address any concerns people have."

A statement posted on ATIK's Facebook page said: "Unfortunately we have to close our doors for the next two weeks while we work with the police and authorities to resolve concerns they have raised.

"We are obviously disappointed to be in this position and will be working hard to make sure that we can reopen as soon as possible.

"We are also aware of rumours circulating of a serious incident inside the venue and we’d like to reassure people that this is absolutely not the case.

"The safety and welfare of our guests has always been, and will remain, our number one priority.

"Anyone who has purchased tickets affected by this closure period will be fully refunded."

To get the latest updates in ongoing cases, police appeals and criminals put behind bars, click here

Read more: all the latest news from Dartford

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More