Home   Dartford   News   Article

Patient Myha Grant admits stabbing two members of staff and starting a fire at the Bracton Centre in Dartford

A patient has admitted a vicious knife attack on two members of staff at a mental health centre in Dartford.

Myha Grant was accused of attempting to murder Francis Barrett and Julius Falomo at the Bracton Centre on July 17, but his guilty pleas to two offences of wounding with intent were accepted by the prosecution.

The 30-year-old, of Ellison Road, Streatham, south London, was also accused of arson with intent to endanger life at the centre and an alternative of arson being reckless as to whether life was endangered, but his guilty plea to simple arson was accepted.

Bracton Centre
Bracton Centre

Grant sat in an armchair as he entered the pleas by video link between Maidstone Crown Court and high security Broadmoor Hospital in Crowthorne, Berkshire.

An earlier magistrates’ court hearing was told the two victims both had knife injuries, one being stabbed at least 10 times. They were taken to King’s College Hospital in London.

Police said Grant was receiving treatment at the centre run by Oxleas NHS Foundation, after he attacked a random a member of the public with a champagne bottle near Brixton Tube station in London the previous month.

He hid outside a locked kitchen door at the centre on the day of the knife attack and burst in when he heard it being opened from the inside.

One staff member was thrown backwards, causing him to hit his head on the floor. Grant then grabbed a knife used to prepare food and stabbed one of the victims repeatedly in his chest, stomach and arms.

When the other victim activated his panic alarm, Grant stabbed him a number of times to various parts of his body including his arm, leg, chest, groin and stomach.

He then started a fire with parts of a cigarette lighter and items of clothing. The fire was quickly put out but several people were treated for smoke inhalation.

Grant was arrested in the courtyard, where he had stacked heavy plant pots on top of one another in an attempt to climb onto the roof.

The second of two helicopters seen taking off from Bracton Lane/Bexley Park after the alleged attacks. Picture: Jonjo Heuermann
The second of two helicopters seen taking off from Bracton Lane/Bexley Park after the alleged attacks. Picture: Jonjo Heuermann

Prosecutor Simon Taylor said after the guilty pleas that there would have to be reports from two psychiatrists before a mental health disposal could be considered. 

Adjourning sentence until January 27, Judge Jeremy Carey told Grant: “You have today pleaded guilty to two very grave offences.

“The reason for the delay is because you will have to be assessed by another psychiatrist in relation to the possibility of a Mental Health Act disposal.”

The judge said he would consider making what has become known as a hybrid order, which allows for an offender to be detained in hospital and if treatment is no longer necessary the remainder of the sentence would served in prison.

Inspector Ivan Beasley, of Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “This was an horrendous experience for all concerned. Myha Grant was being treated at the time for mental health issues and clearly poses a significant risk to innocent members of the public. 

“He is likely to receive a significant custodial sentence for what he put his victims through, which is in the best interests of all concerned.

“I would like to thank everyone who helped us with this investigation and hope the conclusion of this case is of some comfort to all those affected.”

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More